31 May 2013

Tendens

Tendens
Graduation exhibition Rogaland Art School
15.5.-9.6.13
Stavanger Kunstforening

Again it is graduation time and it is time to see what the students of the second year at Rogaland Art School have been up to. Like always it is a great feeling entering the door having no idea what to expect. In my opinion this year two works stand out especially, but also others are worth mentioning:

Kari Bukve: Samtaler med havet
Kari Bukve: Samtaler med havet

This could have been a slightly interesting piece of photo and installation art, but the circumstance makes it a brilliant and quite provocative conceptual work. The basis is elements from the oil industry, warning signs, scaffolding and oil samples. This is completed with photos on the walls, but some are covered, not visible. I was warned already before entering the room. The photos are made on oil platforms, and are not allowed being shown publicly. We are not even supposed to know which platform is portrayed, because of the fear of terror.Thus an artpiece meant to focus on the life on and around an oil installation is suddenly turned into a comment on fear of terror and seemingly over-protective rules. I become curious on what is being hid, what are they so secretive about.

Neringa Zibaite: Invisible personality
Neringa Zibaite: Invisible personality

A wonderful line of work that must have taken some serious effort to produce. Onto four portraits two video portraits are projected. The portraits are beautiful enough, but the real magic appears up close. The faces are all made up of calligraphy. These are texts based on conversations with the portrayed persons. Their stories become what they look like, how we see them. Not all stories are possible for us to read or understand. In fact most of the stories are hard to read, but I see they are there. It would be sad if we could read everything about a person from its face, but it is a joy to be able to read some. 

Neringa Zibaite: Invisible personality (detail)
Neringa Zibaite: Invisible personality (detail)

*

Other impressive works:

Siv Evenmo: Until the day the intire thing falls to pieces under its own weight
Siv Evenmo: Until the day the entire thing falls to pieces under its own weight

A wild mess of textile, sand, paper, quite some space to explore.

Ingvild Hamre: Et hav av roser... et hav av kjærlighet
Ingvild Hamre: Et hav av roser... et hav av kjærlighet

A collage of photos of roses, that you may watch while sitting on a bench listening to the sounds of the sea.

Tobias H. Omdahl: Untitled (In all honesty, I cannot give this work a title because it would not fit your story)
Tobias H. Omdahl: Untitled (In all honesty, I cannot give this work a title because it would not fit your story)

Sitting down you are sucked into the world of dystopian films. I sense that I recognise some elements, but then again they are probably rather moods. I need to create my own story, based on these factors.

Marita Sunde Olsen: Atlas Moth
Marita Sunde Olsen: Atlas Moth

A giant moth or butterfly is resting on the floor.

Cassi S. Aguilera: Category:Human
Cassi S. Aguilera: Category:Human

Simple pen portraits of laughing people. I start smiling myself.

Maria Fjell: My sexuality is everyone is hot and I am hungry + If you date me you date me, you can gouch my butt whenever you want + I can go from cute to a pervert in exactly 0.2 seconds+ I am an insecure mess + I have two moods: fuck you and fuck me
Maria Fjell: My sexuality is everyone is hot and I am hungry + If you date me you date me, you can gouch my butt whenever you want + I can go from cute to a pervert in exactly 0.2 seconds+ I am an insecure mess + I have two moods: fuck you and fuck me

Moods of uncertainty and sexuality found on the web, turned into passionate portraits with challenging texts.

Tatiana Komarova: Bruk og Kast Rettigheter
Tatiana Komarova: Bruk og Kast Rettigheter

An interesting blend of panting and stitches.

Berit Meyer Poulsen: Milestones (part)
Berit Meyer Poulsen: Milestones (part)

Tying the exhibition together are these stone pillars placed all around in the halls.