Sandra Jõgeva: Collected Territorial Wars
Installations and video on the topic of gender and art
A woman growing out of a rock or made into a rock, all made of melted sugar, pointing to the five commandments of female artists. There is something Biblical about this, petrification, commandments on a stone tablet. The female figure is both sweet as sugar and hard as rock.
1. Do not marry an artist
2. A woman is always obliged to be many times better than a man
3. Bear in mind that a vast majority of art historians are female, and they prefer male artists
4. One has to paint every day. It's only in bad films that artists sit around, waiting for inspiration
5. In Estonia, anyone can become a classic, if one just live long enough
- and in the background something not so Biblical, a text just saying "slut".
A peak into the process of melting sugar. Is this the leftover material or the beginning of a new sculpture?
Videos of speeches or performances by the artist. As far as I saw on the topic of the difficulties of being a female artist compared to male artists. You would either have to be a man or live to be very old to succeed as an artist.